Monday, November 2, 2009

Week Five

For me, this week is all about change, new thoughts, and new possibilities.

Dr Faverty discussed the Toffler Technology and Innovation Article from November, 2008.

"The message in the report is simple:  its implications are widespread yet personal. We have seen a future with converging, connected, and accelerating technology that will so increase choices for individuals and the ways we interact with technology, that the changes will affect our identity" (p. 4).

For the sake of discussion, let's say Toffler is correct:  how does that change our thoughts that we are emotional beings in a social setting?  There might be two implications.  First, my emotional being, certainly my identity will and must change with time.  Second, the social setting must also be changing as a result of the first item.  But will the change between the two items be linear?  Exponential?  Fixed?  Dynamic?  And regarding any of these topics, how does that impact me or my leadership style, skills, or abilities?  Is there a new leadership theory on the horizon called shark theory?  The premise for the new theory is you have to keep moving or you would die.  Continuing with the analogy, if technology is accelerating, do I have to swim faster to keep up or will I have to adopt a new strategy?  And again, how does this impact me and my leadership style, skills, or abilties?

As a result of our conversation over the last few weeks, I'm starting to ask myself, "Is that thought the old Kirk or the new Kirk?"  Now I'm questioning, comparing, and thinking about the future.

I'm willing to sell my shark theory to anybody in C6 for a jelly donut.

Kirk

Dr Faverty's equation

1 comment:

  1. "Shark theory" I like it. Did you know some sharks have been found to lay motionless near the bottom of the ocean where super oxygenated "springs" do all the hard work of creating an Oxygen gradient against their gills for them?

    ReplyDelete